Monday 8 June 2009

Confessiones

If one is preoccupied with arguing for a thesis, ideology, or cause, one should from time to time take a step back and reflect humbly on what one is doing, and why. At the moment I am obviously convinced of the truth of the claims I present on this blog, and I believe there are good reasons and arguments behind the claims. Nevertheless, I hereby confess that:

It is possible that I am wrong about mathematical platonism.

It is possible that the people who reject mathematical platonism are right, and perhaps one day I will realise this. Still, I believe that mathematical platonism is a correct description of reality, and I find the arguments for it, together with the experience of many mathematicians, overwhelmingly convincing.

To confess that one might be wrong is an essential step in the pursuit of knowledge and intellectual development. Many people do not dare or cannot afford the luxury of admitting that they may be wrong, since their careers may depend on it. Most of Western society frowns upon people who admit the possibility of their opinions being flawed. Most politicians will not admit that they are wrong even if being proved so! In such a world, truth has taken a back-seat, and pragmata is king.
I am fortunate to be in the position where I can admit I may be wrong. This is partly because my subject matter is other-worldly; still, I believe it is not irrelevant to people's lives.

No comments: